Last Updated: December 20th, 2013
Clover collects and receives information in the following ways:
Information you give us to create an account. When you create a Clover merchant or developer account (“Clover Account”), we ask you to provide information about yourself and your business including:
- Personal information. This refers to information about you that can be used to contact or identify you personally. “Personal Information” includes, but is not limited to, name, phone number, bank account information, email addresses, home postal addresses, unique device identifiers, Internet Protocol address (“IP Address”), and other personal information associated with your CloverAccount that is not otherwise publicly available (collectively, an “Account Profile”).
- Business and other non-personal information. We may ask you to provide information about your business such as your business name, business postal address, business phone number, Federal Tax ID number (or other similar employer identification number), and other such information specific to your business.
Information we collect when you use our services. When you use our services including the Clover software, Clover website, Clover application marketplace, or any apps developed or distributed by Clover other than through 3rd Party Apps (as defined below), we will collect the following:
- Log Data. Our servers automatically record information that your browser or mobile device sends whenever you use our services (“Log Data”). The Log Data may include information such as your IP Address, mobile device ID, browser type, operating system, the referring URL of the webpage you were visiting before you came to our website, the URL of pages of our website that you visit, the time spent on those pages, information you searched for, access times and dates, application marketplace downloads and usage data, and other statistics.
- Location Information. Clover may receive location information from your device when you use Clover services. This information may include GPS signals or information about WiFi access locations. Clover may also receive IP Addresses, which we may use to derive geographic location.
- Content and Communications. If you submit a rating or review in the Clover application marketplace, that information will be associated with your Account Profile. If you submit a request for assistance or contact Clover, we may record and store that interaction.
Information you may give us when you use our services. You may provide us with the Personal Information of your customers or employees.
- To provide, improve and enhance the services Clover Companies offer and market those services,
- To research and develop new products, applications, features and services,
- To facilitate transactions and administer payments,
- To monitor and analyze use of the services Clover Companies offer and for technical administration,
- To detect and take action against fraud and abusive activities including activities that we determine violate the terms of any agreement for your use of our services,
- To respond to your inquiries, and
- To contact you regarding Account activities or send you communications relevant to your use of Clover services.
Clover Companies will only use the Personal Information of a merchant’s employees or customers that is provided by a merchant to Clover to provide Clover services to such merchant unless a merchant’s employees or customers have consented to other uses of their Personal Information.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
3rd Party Apps. If you choose to use a 3rd Party App in connection with your use of the Clover services, we will share your Personal Information with the 3rd Party App developer in accordance with the selections you make via the Clover services to facilitate your use of the applicable 3rd Party App. A 3rd party app is an application which is owned or licensed by a third party, and made available by Clover via the Clover application marketplace (individually, a “3rd Party App” and collectively, “3rd Party Apps”).
Information Shared with Agents and Service Providers. We may share information we collector you provide to us with the agents or third party service providers of Clover Companies who need the information to fulfill their business responsibilities to Clover Companies, but such agents or third party service providers are not allowed to use the information for any other purpose.
Analytics Services. We use analytics service providers to better understand usage patterns on the Clover.com website. These providers collect information on our behalf using cookies and similar technologies. We use these service providers to better understand how people use our services and so that we can improve the design and usability of our products. We do not engage in “tracking” users outside of our service and website. Consistent with this, we do not take any action when a browser sends us a DNT (do-not-track) signal.
Aggregate Information and De-identified Information. We may share aggregated information and de-identified information to third parties for industry analysis, demographic profiling, or other purposes. Any aggregated information or de-identified information shared in these contexts will not contain your Personal Information.
Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement. Clover cooperates with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including, but not limited to, subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of Clover or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
Business Transfers. Clover may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of its assets, including your Personal Information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization, or sale of assets or in the event of bankruptcy.
Changing or Deleting Your Information. You may review, update, or correct the Personal Information and Business Information in your Account Profile by logging into your Account. After deleting your Account, you may email us at email@example.com with a request that we delete your Account Profile from our database. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to honor your request. We may retain an archived copy of your Account Profile for a variety of reasons, such as to comply with our legal requirements, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, or any other lawful business purpose.
Security is important to Clover. But remember that no method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. We take steps to limit access to Personal Information only to those employees or third party service providers of Clover Companies who we reasonably believe have a need to access such Personal Information to provide products or services to you or to fulfill their business responsibilities to Clover Companies.
Clover employs appropriate measures to protect Personal Information that we collect and maintain. These measures may include, among others, encryption, physical access security and other appropriate technologies. For example, Clover encrypts the transmission of data over the Internet with SSL (secure socket layer) technology and takes steps to encrypt certain data that is stored on our servers appropriate to the sensitivity of the data.
Identity theft and the practice currently known as “phishing” are of great concern to Clover. Safeguarding information to help protect you from identity theft is a top priority. Clover does not and will not, at any time, request your credit card information, your Clover Account credentials, login password, or national identification numbers in a non-secure or unsolicited e-mail or telephone communication. For more information about phishing, visit the Federal Trade Commission’s website, which is located atwww.consumer.ftc.gov.
Your Personal Information may be transferred to and maintained on computers located outside of your state, province, country, or other governmental jurisdiction where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction. By supplying Personal Information to us, you consent to your Personal Information being transferred to and maintained across national borders by Clover Companies or third party service providers of Clover Companies.
Links to Other Websites, Other Services and 3rd Party Apps
Our Policy Towards Children
Our services are not directed to children under 13 and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 13. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with Personal Information, we will delete such information from our files as soon as possible.